Child Custody Laws In Alabama Are Complicated

Determining the amount of time you will be allowed to spend with your child is a stressful, emotional and very difficult discussion to have with another parent, the opposing lawyer or during trial. Custody laws are very complicated. This is why you should have an attorney on your side who can represent your interests knowledgeably and aggressively throughout the entire process.

That is the kind of representation you get at Joseph Allan Shaw, P.C. Our lawyer genuinely cares about helping you protect your relationship with your child, whatever that may require. You can reach him by calling 251-964-7774. We represent families on the Eastern Shore and throughout Baldwin County.

Can I Modify A Existing Child Custody Order?

Under Alabama law, parents are required to seek permission from the court to modify a child custody order. Voluntary modifications, verbal or written, are unenforceable unless the court approves the modification. Although changes in your life may require you to change your custody agreement, do not rely on this option when making initial decisions. It is always easier, less stressful and more cost-efficient to get it done right the first time.

Relocation from the original jurisdiction can be a common reason why parents may need to modify a custody arrangement. Petitions for modification based on relocation are governed by the Alabama Parent-Child Relationship Protection Act. Parents are required to follow strict rules regarding timing, notice and other requirements. We represent parents who wish to relocate with their child as well as those who want to challenge a request.

Do Grandparents Have Custody Rights?

Grandparents today are playing a greater role in the lives of their grandchildren, many of whom have become the primary guardians of minor children. Although grandparents may accept the roles and responsibilities, they have limited custody and visitation rights.

Grandparents who want visitation rights with their grandchildren can petition the court, however, these laws are constantly changing. However, if they can show that the parents are unfit or unwilling to care for the child, filing a petition for custody is always an option that should be considered.

We have handled many cases involving grandparents rights. We have, on separate occasions, represented both the grandparents seeking visitation or custody as well as parents who believe their rights are being infringed upon.

Don't Rely On A Website To Make Decisions, Talk To Our Lawyer

The information provided on this page is a general description of child custody laws. Each case is different, with its own set of facts and circumstances. If you face an important decision regarding your parental rights, never rely on a website to make decisions. Always consult with a lawyer about your options.

Call us at 251-964-7774 or email us to schedule a consultation with attorney Joseph Allan Shaw.

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy